1 large shallot, diced
½ large onion, diced (yield about 1 c)
2 large cloves garlic, diced
1 dried red pepper, sliced
2 tsp dried oregano
1 tsp salt
2 tbsp oil
4 c squash puree
4 c crushed tomatoes in their own juice
1 c cream
1 tbsp balsamic vinegar (or to taste)
crumbled blue cheese (optional)
1. Place shallot, onion, garlic, red pepper, dried oregano, salt, and oil in large heavy-bottomed saucepan over medium-low heat.
2. Stirring occasionally, cook until onions are soft and translucent.
3. Add squash and tomatoes and bring to a simmer.
4. Use a stick blender to puree and fully mix all ingredients. (Or blend in batches in a standing blender).
5. Add cream and gently heat through. Serve with balsamic vinegar or blue cheese.